Break out of Market Conventions and Succeed in Usage-Based Insurance
Insurance telematics and usage-based insurance (UBI) programs continue to roll out across the globe. With a rapidly changing competitive landscape it’s increasingly difficult to select the correct business models to ensure success. In fact, many programs are starting to look alike – with a focus on price discounts resulting in an inevitable race to the bottom. With the entire industry moving in this direction, only a subset of companies will succeed. Your organization has an opportunity to stand out from the crowd. The key to success is a differentiated and targeted program. IMS UBI Intelligence enables auto insurers to create uniquely targeted programs based on your needs and objectives. Our solution is based on an agile, end-to-end platform that enables speed to market without sacrificing flexibility to create programs targeted at your policyholders.
Why IMS UBI Intelligence?
IMS UBI Intelligence delivers on the promise of being the premier, most complete UBI solution, offering a one-stop shop for an insurer’s UBI needs – no additional suppliers or multiple partners to work with.
Our key differentiators
Insurance Telematics Solutions Options
Insurers can now boost profitability by tailoring their program strategy to each customer and product in their portfolio. IMS UBI Intelligence provides a wide range of solution options for all types of program and segmentation needs:
Data-Agnostic Collection Options
As the only true data source agnostic solution on the market, we work closely with you in choosing the right technologies to adopt to ensure you achieve your growth goals and potential. We make the whole process of a successful launch as simple and easy as possible.
Sensor Overview with Pros & Cons
Smartphone/ SDK Option
Use of mobile as sensor, either through white label app or SDK in 3rd party app
- No-cost deployment and improvements in data integrity make this the most viable option for mainstreaming insurance telematics
- Drives high levels of customer engagement via feedback apps
- Operates completely independently to the vehicle and circumvents intrusion by OEMs
- Can be deployed via bespoke apps or SDK into 3rd-party apps
- More easily ‘game-able’ by the user to mask behaviors
- Not capable of robust, reliable collision detection as not firmly anchored, so less value for claims
- Device management can be a challenge as mobile manufacturers (esp. Apple) change parameters of operability (e.g. GPS & battery)
Dashboard / windshield mounted battery-powered device
- Low cost deployment and known data integrity make this an attractive option for middle to mainstream insurance telematics
- Using a tethered app allows for improved customer engagement
- Has high-fidelity collision detection capture within the device to aid with post collision claims handling
- Easy self install for the customer, and captures journey data even if the mobile is not in the vehicle
- No FNOL if the mobile is not in the vehicle at the point of collision
- Battery life is limited to approximately 24 months, and requires replacement for following years
Dongle plug-in for OBD port
- Only aftermarket device that can access CAN bus data, offering vehicle status data and prognostics
- Ubiquitous in European & North American markets for insurance and fleet
- Ease of self-installation (in some cases)
- No current success in the UK insurance market due to inaccessibility of OBD port
- Lack of consistency of data across vehicle makes/models (e.g. only > 60% accuracy on fuel level readings)
- Faces an uncertain long-term future due to OEM threat: European OEMs lobbying to restrict 3rd party access; many ports block data transmission once over 30mph
- Security concerns, and easy to 'tamper’
- The UK standard for UBI, gives ‘always-on’ data stream
- Standardization of data harvested from the device across all vehicles
- High-fidelity collision detection and robustness of data helps claims remediation and boosts loss ratio performance
- Theft detection and stolen vehicle recovery a key benefit for carriers and mobility operators, and can be positioned as an adoption driver for consumer propositions
- No access to CAN bus data
- Relevance may be limited long-term if OEMs manage to align around useful connected car data standards that are commercially viable
OEM / Connected Car
Direct feed / line fit from on-board computer
- Potential to provide access to embedded sensors and a wealth of additional lines of data analysis, such as ADAS systems
- OEMs are starting to realize the potential to monetize data for their own and 3rd party provider benefit – insurance is the key use case
- Challenge around standardization of data protocols across all makes/models to make scoring unilaterally applicable
- Uncertainty around timeline for ubiquity, and no clarity around likely cost of data to 3rd parties
- Many manufacturers still concerned about data ownership and privacy
Usage-Based Insurance for Commercial Lines
A unique and compelling telematics program.
Customization and Flexibility Options
IMS UBI Intelligence offers an unmatched solution that will help ensure the success of your program in today’s competitive marketplace.
Telematics Insurance Risk Scoring Customization
Create customized scoring for both vehicle and driver with a suite of scoring variables while keeping the safety of your policyholders front and center.
Unleash the power of a comprehensive suite of interfaces that allows you to create differentiated solutions based on your strategy and target market. Build highly differentiated, bespoke solutions or leverage our reference applications to get to market quickly.
Secondary Driver Option
Give policyholders the flexibility of viewing driving data of secondary drivers to promote safer behavior. You also benefit from the ability to design differentiated programs targeted at new segments, such as multi-driver families, new driver coaching programs and car sharing.
Flexible Scoring and Rating
Flexibility is key to a smooth big data and analytics journey. We offer full flexibility in scoring and rating to precisely assess risk for each policyholder and encourage safe driving.
The right scoring and rating for your business.
Create a scoring and rating model leveraging any of three methods:
- IMS’ internal analytics teams.
- Your existing actuarial models refined by IMS.
- IMS’ analytics partners.
Unique Rating Systems:
Create differentiation through a unique scoring system.
Leverage a selection of scoring variables for your algorithms.
Display scoring and events in an easy to understand experience for policyholders.
IMS UBI Intelligence Components
For Auto Insurers
The tools you need to manage and administer a successful UBI program.
For End Users
One deployment, using the IMS DriveSync® platform, can support both sides of your insurance business – personal lines and commercial lines users.
Benefits for auto insurers
- Increase loyalty of current policyholders & attract new customers
- Generate revenue via value-added services
- Lower risk, cost and claims
Benefits for drivers
- Personalized auto insurance premiums
- Increased driver education & improved driving skills
- More awareness for better preventative maintenance
Learn more about our leading end-to-end UBI solution
Contact us to request for more information