Principal Data Engineer
IMS (Insurance and Mobility Solutions), is a leader in connected car and telematics services. We provide services and analytics to insurers, governments and enterprises. We are proud to be the developer of the industry acclaimed; cloud based “Drive-Sync” connected car platform. From insurers and governments, to dealerships and everyday drivers, we’re proud to produce technology that makes driving – Safer. Smarter. Greener.
The Data Engineering team is a new function sitting alongside our Data Science, MI & Insight and Data Ops teams.
- Data Science focuses on data R&D, evolving our data products and creating new ones.
- MI & Insight focuses on the presentation of data in a consumable and appropriate manner to enable data led decisions.
- Data Ops is responsible for the deployment of our data products and the management of the team’s infrastructure.
- Data Engineering is the glue that sticks the team together, enabling products created by Data Science to be deployed into production, results from those products being made available to MI & Insight for presentation and working with Data Ops to ensure that appropriate pipelines are built and that our production deployments are working correctly.
Although the data is a core part of our organisation it is only recently that we have centralised all parts of Data Engineering under one roof. The Data Engineering team has been newly formed as part of that change to ensure that the other teams have the support they need to succeed. This role will be the founding member of the Data Engineering team and will be responsible for setting the future direction and informing technology choices to be used in future.
We are currently in the process of re-platforming and migrating to AWS which will be our hosting provider for all new deployments. The current language of the data team will be Python, however organisationally we also have strong Java & C# deployments. Data wise we use a variety of platforms from Postgres to SQLServer to Cassandra to data in S3 buckets.
This role will be seen as the key technical leader of the Data Engineering team. The role will have a good level of visibility, interacting with all levels of our organisation and directly with our customers.
- Responsible for the deployment of all of our data products these include (but are not limited to)
- Crash Detection
- Driver Behaviour Scoring
- Distracted Driving Detection
- Driver Fingerprinting
- Geocoding & Data Enrichment
- Ensure that data is accessible and support the data MI & Insight team enabling data driven decisions across the organisation
- Work jointly with our architecture team to govern all products, ensuring they output appropriate, usable data
- Key designer for all data processing engines in our production pipelines
- Significant hands on experience of developing in Python, with a specific focus on Data
- Experience of the key Python data packages such as (Pandas, SQLAlchemy, Dask)
- Experience of interacting with Data Scientists and deploying models built in packages such as Sklearn or Keras to production
- Experience of Spark very desirable
- Experience of using cloud technologies (ideally AWS) to deploy data products to production
- Understanding of data modelling, ensuring the structure is suitable to the use cases
- Experience of using technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes and Lambda to deploy services
- Comfortable working in Linux operating environments
- A mentality to always try to do better and constantly look to improve processes & applications
- Ability to turn high level requirements into a plan including specific technical deliverables
- Test driven approach to development
- Comfortable communicating very technical concepts to a non-technical audience and where necessary gaining their support & buy in on decisions
WHY JOIN US?
This is a fantastic opportunity for somebody to create and mould a new role, leading the way with Data Engineering practices and centralising a variety of data into one integral platform. The role holder will utilise data to reach our goal of making the roads safer and will be in a key position to make a real difference.